These last few weeks at General Motors have been quite eventful, from the announcement of our new CEO, Mary Barra, to the U.S. Treasury ownership exit. I’m thrilled to keep that momentum going with another big piece of news.
General Motors will invest $1.3 billion in manufacturing sites in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana. About 7,500 people are already working in these plants, and these investments will create or retain an additional 1,000 jobs – reinforcing our commitment made in 2009 to reinvest in American manufacturing.
The investments – at GM plants in Detroit, Flint, Romulus, Mich.; Toledo, Ohio, and Bedford, Ind. – will help support production of a new V6 engine, new 10-speed transmission and an existing 6-speed transmission. GM has made a lot of progress since 2009, posting 15 consecutive quarterly profits. And we’re putting that money right back into our people and our products.
Since 2009, General Motors has invested more than $10.1 billion – $2.8 billion in 2013 alone – in our U.S. operations, creating or retaining more than 26,000 jobs across the country.
Broken down, our $1.3 billion investment looks like this:
- $600 million in Flint Assembly for facility upgrades, including a new paint shop
- $493.4 million in Romulus Powertrain Operations which includes $343.4 million for equipment to produce an all-new 10-speed automatic transmission and $150 million to increase capacity of the previously-announced new V6 engine
- $121 million in Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly for a logistics optimization center
- $30.6 million in Toledo Transmission Operations for increased capacity for an existing 6-speed transmission
- $29.2 million in Bedford Castings which includes $22.6 million to produce components for the 10-speed transmission and $6.6 million to produce components for the existing 6-speed transmission
Today’s announcement illustrates our commitment to building a stronger American manufacturing base. Together with our UAW-GM partners, and a robust workforce of committed employees, we continue to focus on our number one priority: delighting our customers with the best cars, trucks and crossovers they can find anywhere.